Facing Manila Bay, Malate Church is a Baroque-style church, dedicated to Nuestra Senora de Remedios (“Our Lady of Remedies”), the patroness of childbirth. A revered statue of the Virgin Mary in her role as Our Lady of Remedies was brought from Spain in 1624 and stands at the altar.
The church was built originally in the sixteenth century by the Augustinians and is one of the oldest churches in Manila outside of Intramuros. British soldiers took refuge in this church during their occupation of the Philippines and attack on Intramuros in 1762-63. However, the church was destroyed in 1773 and was rebuilt. It was also badly damaged in World War II, and later restored again.